Saturday, January 19, 2008

Obsessions: Dishware

I got dish issues. I think I'm an addict.

For several years I've collected Russel Wright pottery, particularly the Iroquois line. In fact, I've blogged about Wright twice before. Here, and here.



I've dabbled a bit in his American Modern and have a couple of pieces of his coveted art pottery from Bauer, but the Iroquois is so durable that we can eat off of it every day, so I'm able to justify my growing (and growing, and growing) collection.


I'm proud (and fairly ashamed) to say that I have enough Iroquois dishes to serve an intimate dinner for 80. The stuff is scattered all over the house and shoved in cabinets wherever it will fit.
And hey, at least I'm spending money on something tangible that will increase in value, right?


Right?

Until I add another dish obsession to the mix.

I was on eBay not long ago and ran across a live auction of these babies:


They were manufactured by Metlox Poppytrail and were dubbed the 'California Aztec' line.

I loved them and I bought them, without stopping to talk myself out of it. That's how I roll. Look at the fun shape of this baby:


I haven't been able to find out a lot about the line, and there aren't a lot of them for sale on eBay or online, but that's probably a good thing. I'll be forced to take it slowly.

One day at a time.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have 2 tall cups and 2 of the small cups of the Aztec. The cups are especially cool, but my wife hates them. She even ended up using one of the small cups for a candle holder. It's now coated in wax. She doesn't quite get this whole collecting thing. The plates rock though.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Homo Rugger said...

Mmmmm...Aztec!! My favorite flavor of Metlox.

Check out some of the pieces I love: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24913526@N08/2346086123/

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the tall carafe pictured in the above mentioned web site. The one on the right hand side with the black stopper if anyone is interested it is in mint shape!

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home