Friday, June 30, 2006

He Shoots He Scores.

This past Saturday night, we went to a fundraiser for a local charity, and of course they found room for the ubiquitous silent auction.

I'm a closet fan of silent auctions. I usually find something, and they benefit a nonprofit.

Once at the event, we rounded a corner, chatting amongst ourselves, and there it was. A chrome Bertoia chair.


It looked nothing like the photo above. It was covered in these terrible brown nubby fabric pads that completely hid the form of the chair, front and back.

I lifted one pad quickly to see a perfectly preserved chrome Bertoia. And no one was bidding on it.

The minimum bid was only $150, so yeah I went there without blinking an eye. Our group left a bit later, so I didn't know until yesterday that I won it.

I brought it home today, pulled off the old brown yucky pads to reveal a perfectly preserved vintage Bertoia wire chair:

And the $150 went to a great charity.

How cool is that?

I'll be ordering the Knoll replacement pad. I'm thinking white.

2 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

What a great find. Love it! Love it! Love it!

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a great price but listen to this, you are gonna hate me... I found the same chair, original, in perfect condition, with the original pad, also in perfect condition, for $15!!!! at a local thrift shop... and get this, there were 3 of them but a young man had picked up two of them like a minute before me... I'm just happy he left me one...

Congrats on the house!!!!

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home