Monday, September 11, 2006

Read This.

Take 2 minutes to read this post on apartmenttherapy.com.

Basically, he's intimating that minimalists are more evolved, right?

I'm not sure I agree with him, but I do want to bring up the obligatory house tour, referenced in the post.

Being carted around as if on a tour of a little museum is a pompous act on the part of host (to offer or insist on it) and guest (to suggest it). A good host will allow her/his guests to wander the house as they wish. A good guest never suggests them taking time away from other guests (or from preparing dinner) for the ridiculous house tour.

As a host, when someone asks for a tour, I simply say "roam around...make yourself at home". As a guest, I only go on house tours if the homeowner seems hell-bent. And I grit my teeth and smile.

And as a minimalist, I don't really feel more evolved. I do feel more free though. I have enough responsibility in my life.

Even if we're talking about candlesticks and occasional chairs.

3 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I am definitely a Less-Is-More kind of guy. It’s a bit of a conundrum because I’m restoring an elegant 1895 Victorian which in some ways was built at the birth of the middle class American becoming the mass consumer. My home in 1895 would have had an almost cluttered feeling by today’s standards. At the same time, I love the lighting, wallpaper, and woodwork of the period. If and when I get around to the point of furnishing rooms it should make for an interesting combination.

As for house tours, yea, go for it. That is, unless you want to hear me talk endlessly about my house.

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting. I normally keep the house tour brief but I've always attributed it to being self-conscious rather than minimalism. I'm afraid I'm boring guests.

I do enjoy giving a tour or asking questions when asked, though.

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

minimalism

a concept I can only dream about.

I will forever be bogged down in STUFF! I kinda love it (when I'm not moving it) but realize it is NOT for everyone.

And I don't *MIND* house tours too terribly, if a guest asks.....and with as much weird crap as we have, it almost always leads to that, but I encourage folks to poke around and ask vs. a guided tour......maybe someone needs to come up with an audio tour for houseguests?

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home